Basically, there's three ways to find your current location without using a GPS.
Look yourself up on a map
- Tiger Map Browser - US only
- TerraServer - US only
Do an advanced search then enter the address and select the
You can zoom in to make sure its the right location.
Then click the Info link and it shows the coordinates on the
map and you can get the coordinates from the URL as well.
- Acme Mapper - US only
Much nicer interface to Terraserver
- MapFan - Japan only
- whole world, provides coordinates in degrees/minutes/seconds
(and must be converted to decimal)
- UK only, with address lookups
You can enter a UK post code, do a search, and then use the "Click here to
convert/measure coordinates" link to get the correct numbers.
- Yahoo Maps
Latitude/Longitude numbers in URL
- Maporama - worldwide, with address lookup
Look up your ZIP code (US only)
- ProjectLocate - look up your coordinates and create ICBM tags by ZIP
Look up your address
Look it up in an atlas